OF STARTING ANEW!

Monday, January 3, 2011


"Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience." It was by Victoria Holt which I happened to come through it in one of my newsletter (I didn’t really know who she was until I goggled few seconds ago). I had saved it in my collection hoping that I would use it in one of my columns. And here I’m starting with it. 2010 is over, I’m sure it must have been an awesome and extreme year for many of you (I can see that they have already picked their favourite moments of 2010). There must have been mix of good and bad, high and lows, success and failures, lessons and mistakes, friendships and foes, love and hatred, romance and break-ups, unions and separations, happiness and sorrow, hope and despair, peace and tensions, forgiveness and vengeance, birth and death…the list could go on. The balance has always been a part of life. It’s about time now to ring out the old year, keeping the wonderful moments and letting go all negative vibes and ring in the new year with promising thoughts and make 2011 count.


With a festive and frantic weekend lived I assume all of us are still in the holiday spirit, eh? Hope everyone had a great weekend with the Gregorian New Year’s eve followed by Nyilo celebration (One of several New Years in Bhutan particularly for the people of Punakha-Wang region). It has been not so crazy but living-by-the-moment week for me. With new year round the corner and everyone around so excited to welcome the new year, discussing their plans for a spectacular entry into new year, getting their resolutions ready for the year; the week started leaving me to worry about the end of the year. That point of time, I was feeling sad of having to bid adieu to 2010. I’m not too fond of goodbyes (I see nothing ‘good’ about saying ‘bye’).  It’s so poignant. They say that ”an optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves”. As much as I thought it was going to be awfully difficult for me, I saw the new beginning at the threshold while I was about to close the doors to the old one. Like they say at the end there is always a new beginning! No big plans though, like a true optimist I joined my friend in the countdown (just the two of us) to assure that we weren’t alone but we had each other yet in another new journey of life.

New Year has always been a grand occasion to willingly start fresh on our old habits. It’s not just about a mere number changing in our calendar but about us growing as a human being. It’s time to pause and look at ways to clean the mess we created. It’s the time of year to peel off yet another layer and be a better person each passing year. What better juncture than the New Year to embark on to discover yourself with? It’s also the time of the year when we yet again reintroduce the New Year Resolutions in our life. ‘I’ll diet’ ‘I’ll quit smoking’ I’ll stop procrastinating’ Sounds simple and easy to do. ‘I’ll be a nice husband’ ‘I’ll call my parents’ ‘I’ll stop partying’ This is impressive now.  ‘I promise….’ blah blah blah! We spend hours making a meandering list of resolutions to change for good, only to break them. Well, um… I’m gonna continue being a nice girl…lol (Live Out Loud). Seriously I know this year is going to be a beautiful year so I’m refusing to resolute to any change that I do not have a hope to keep. Now not imposing myself with a set of manacles actually isn’t hard. To those who do, I wish them my genuine Best Wishes in being confident enough to keep their promises. Please be kind to yourself and remember to take stock of the resolutions you just noted down on paper (or on your mind).

As we close the books on one year and start another, I take this opportunity to contemplate over my year. It has been a year of mixed feelings for me as well. Personally, I have come closer to my family, friends and people who are important in my life. I have been able to get in touch with few of my childhood friends (after fourteen solid years). I have made few new friends who have left their honest imprints in my life which I will treasure for keeps. The whole connection with them has been special and unforgettable. Each relationship that I share with different significant squad has emerged stronger, pure and beautiful. On my professional front, it has been a busy year for me. Initially it started off with lots of travelling and then my share of the regular job responsibilities. There were times when I had to sacrifice my weekends which I embraced very joyfully. Don’t you believe that nothing works like hard work.

I agree that we live in a critical world. I got to meet few good leaders along and many pompous colleagues. Learning has been a continuous process for me as well. The hard punches have been tough to receive but I have come in terms to roll with them. The year has contributed in giving me all the values which helped me through the harsh times. I often encountered rejections but I’m proud to divulge it as a part of my life now. I guess I have learnt to deal with the failure. There have been some really great times and some bad times which proved to teach me important lessons of life. I again guess it took me to where I wanted to be and led me become who I am. I have found my own thing that helped me rejuvenate my strength. Another year has gone by leaving me bruised, worn out, critical and a little wiser. All in all, it has been an overwhelming ride! 

And then I started writing My Frame of Mind late summer last year. It started as an idea to reconnect with my writer mode. I always wanted to write earnestly. I had stalled my capricious thoughts but I was short of confidence and determination on this front. However, it has been an amazing journey which led me to express all the random thoughts twirling in my head (and heart) despite the time and my laziness factor coming as a road block. It has been special and this year I hope I can speak more and draw you all closer into my life including my private life which hopefully I’ll be posting soon. As clichéd as it may sound but I couldn’t have asked more than this, really I couldn’t have. I look back on 2010 and the memories created with a lot of gratitude.
                              
As a kid I have known (and I still do believe) that what you do on the 1st of January determines what you will do for the rest of the year. I spent my day without anything to worry about; I’m ready to take on the world. Are you? HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, to all my fellow bloggers and all over the world! I hope that all of you joyfully start yet another journey and make it a wonderful experience. Let’s ring in 2011 by wiping the slate clean and start anew. Well, I can feel the air of positivity and am looking forward, hope you do. Here’s to the start of the second decade of the century! Opening of new doors! New beginnings! New hopes and aspirations! New resolutions! New us! A great and Happy year! Bright and Promising! Happy Times! 2011 has to be only GOOD for everyone! So dream big.

Lolay!

Live, laugh and love, JC

PS. I woke up thinking about the following piece this morning while I caught myself chewing on it last night before I dozed off:

"Let this coming year be better than all the others. Vow to do some of the things you've always wanted to do but couldn't find the time. Call up a forgotten friend. Drop an old grudge, and replace it with some pleasant memories. Vow not to make a promise you don't think you can keep. Walk tall, and smile more. You'll look ten years younger. Don't be afraid to say, 'I love you'. Say it again. They are the sweetest words in the world."  Ann Lander

PSS. Simple and effortless things to do ain’t they? So all set, eh? Two days in, how's it going?



0 comments:

Post a Comment